POST 54 HISTORY
The local post of the American Legion was organized June 18, 1919 at a meeting held at the ols Armory located in the 100 block of W 2nd St. for the purpose of electing permanent officers.
Motion carried that the secretary be instructed to cast a unanimous ballot for members of the above committees as submitted by the nominating committee.
Motion carried that Capt. John Kohl be declared elected Chaplain.
Motion Carried that Sgt. Irwin Wendt be declared elected Sergeant at Arms.
The following subjects were discussed: Meeting dates, name of organization, dues, preference of memorial. It was decided to meet the first Wednesday of each month, the next regular meeting to be held in August. The name of the Local organization and the amount of dues was left to the organization committee, with instructions to submit several names and plans for dues at the next regular meeting.
The organization placed itself on record as being in favor of an armory as their preference for a suitable memorial for those who made the supreme sacrifice.
There being no further business the meeting adjourned.
A temporary organization of the veterans of World War l was formed early in 1919 with Capt Edward O. Witt as temporary Chairman. This was before any veterans had returned home. The first meeting of the returned veterans was held at the Armory June 18, 1919. The minutes which are included in this history. The meeting was prior to the adoption of the name "American Legion". There were two conflicting groups in Wisconsin striving to get national affiliation. One of these had a convention in Milwaukee, July 7th and 8th, 1919 to which three delegates were sent from the Marshfield organization. By the way, the total expenses of the three delegates for two days in Milwaukee, including transportation, hotel, meals, etc. was $61.40. Future delegates please note. During the summer of 1919 the state straightend these conflicting groups out. And they became one under the name of "American Legion".
The first charter was dated August 24th, 1919, and the orginal signers of the application for the charter were as follows:
The permanent charter was voided March 4, 1947 on account of the change in the name of the post, and a new charter was issued March 7, 1947. A supplemental charter replaced the one issued March 26, 1940, also issued on the same date, March 7, 1947.
On June 5, 1947 the formal presentation of the charter to the Post was made by District Commander Emil Gehrke.
Next Page >>